Nutrition and burns
Medical nutrition therapy is an essential component of multidisciplinary management of burns patients
Tuesday August 20, 2019, 6.00pm to 7.00pm AEST
The presentation will cover:
- Physiology in burns
- Catecholamines and the stress response
- Insulin resistance
- Nutritional assessment of the burns patient including potential for refeeding
- Patient population demographics
- Macro and micro nutrient requirements
- Considerations when managing patients with facial, hand and inhalation burns.
- Type of feeding regimes ie. Oral, EN, TPN
- Monitoring effectiveness of nutrition support
- Post discharge follow-up
Watching this presentation and completing the assessment can contribute towards assessable Continuing Professional Development hours.
About the Presenter
Michelle is th Senior Dietitian for the State Adult Burns Unit, at Fiona Stanley Hospital in Western Australia. She is currently undertaking a Masters of Clinical Science through the University of Adelaide which involves a systematic review of perioperative enteral feeding in burns patients. Michelle has presented at the Australian and New Zealand Burn Association conference, and is a member of the Australian and New Zealand Burns Dietitian Discussion Group.
- Access to the live webinar or a recording of the webinar
- Presentation notes
- Assessment quiz and certificate
- Suggested further reading
- Live stream: $50 to participate in the webinar in real time
- On demand recording: from $38 receive a recording and associated documents
- Subscription: $33 monthly for all Education in Nutrition recordings (minimum 30 a year) and free access to all our live webinars